Skip to main content

My Feedback Thoughts

Feedback is something that I took kind of a long time to learn and appreciate. I have always strived for perfection in my life, but growing up I hated receiving feedback and constructive criticism. I think this probably stems from immaturity, but now that I am older, I have learned the importance and goodness that comes with receiving feedback well and using it to your own advantage. At the camp in Arkansas I work at during the summers, the leadership team puts a large emphasis on adjusting and affirming feedback. Adjusting feedback is giving and receiving feedback that adjusts and suggests changes to what you are doing, and affirming feedback encourages what you are doing. I really appreciate feedback of both types because they both show how you can continue to improve and get closer to being the best version of yourself. 
One of the articles I read, "6 Hidden Downsides of Perfectionism," was incredibly convicting to me because I often think of perfectionism as a good thing. Although it is good to strive to be your very best and to limit mistakes, people often forget the beauty in failure and the mass amount of knowledge you can gain from making mistakes. Something I related well with with the compromising of relationships; during my sophomore year of college, I became so obsessed with perfection in school and extracurriculars that I did compromise a few of my relationships and a large part of my social life. This led to unhappiness and it took me a long time to realize that even though I was working so hard, the resulting perfection was not rewarding when I looked back at the compromises I had to make to get there. I think if I would have taken a step back and looked at what I was doing, as well as listened to feedback my friends were giving me, I could have avoided the pain that was caused. 
As I read about the different alternatives to grading in the article "12 Alternatives to Letter Grades in Education," I was very intrigued and encouraged that there are teachers and professors who understand that grading is not the best option. Grading adds so much pressure and takes away from the joy that learning can bring; often, the idea of grades adds stress and unhappiness to students who are striving to be the best they can be. Some of the alternatives suggested that I really appreciated included live feedback and non-points-based rubrics. I liked live feedback because it allows students to see what they can improve as they are going, instead of making mistakes and then having to go back and fix them. This approach also greatly involves the teacher. I liked non-points-based rubrics because it outlines what is expected of the student, but also allows them to not have the pressure of letter grades. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking