Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Noah pt A--Beautiful Sentences

I wanted to focus my reading notes this week on beautiful sentences. I never spend much time really paying any attention to sentence structure or appreciating the complexity of sentences, and so when I saw this option for a new style of reading notes, I figured it would be something good to try. I love the way the Bible is written, but I don't think I've ever read scripture purely to enjoy the beauty of the sentences. Something I have been studying recently is the concept of what beauty is and how it is portrayed in the Bible, and so I thought this could be a stellar way to view beauty in the Bible in a different sense.

Here is my list of beautiful sentences and why I think they are beautiful:

"And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, "I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done."
  • This sentence is so meaningful and felt so intimate when I read it. I felt like I could almost hear the Lord saying these words because of the imagery and sensory used in this sentence. I loved that it was written in third person and also included a quote, so I felt like someone else was telling the story but that the Lord was also talking to me at the same time. 
"Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man."
  • I saw beauty in this sentence by the old fashioned words used and the way that it parallels from part to part. I love how the first part says "sheddeth man's blood" and then it goes to "his blood be shed." I think sentences that have parallels like this always stick out to me and make me think, and this is something that I would like to attempt to add to my writing. 
"And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech."
  • The Tower of Babel is a very interesting story to me because of the change that takes place among the entire earth. I like how this sentence is written because it makes the whole earth feel very unified. Instead of saying "the whole earth spoke one language and used one speech," saying "of" for some reason demands unity in my opinion. 
Noah releasing the dove to check the earth

Noah Stories part A-- The Bible and The Legend of the Jews. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking