Skip to main content

Storybook- EmpoWord ch. 2

This week I decided to try out the StoryLab assignment. I read ch. 2 from the EmpoWord website, which is a great website for college-aged students to gain writing skills. I included a list of pointers that I read which I really enjoyed and found useful. Hopefully, you all will also see the importance of these tips!


  • "We're all stories, in the end." This is by Steven Moffat from Dr. Who, and the author of this chapter wrote some interpretations. I loved how he said that each of us has our own stories, but also our stories are intertwined with the stories of many other people. To me, this shows how important it is to be respectful of other's stories and be willing to learn and listen to others. 
  • Narrow your scope. People get bored quickly when you are sharing a million different ideas. Pick a few different BIG ideas and focus on their details when telling a story. 
  • The Idea Generator on pg. 98-99. This is such a cool form that helps to generate a story and assist with brainstorming purposes. 
  • The student stories included in this chapter were very good examples of detailed writing. They showed how to narrow the scope, use good dialogue, and create beautiful imagery. 
Overall, I would highly recommend reading this chapter! There was so much good information and I feel like my writing will be a lot better now that I am able to reference that chapter. 

Journal Writing by StockSnap

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking