Skip to main content

Week 10 Reading Notes: Tejas Legends

I chose to read the Tejas Legends for week 10 readings. I was excited about this because these stories were originally from east Texas. I've spent some time in east Texas, and so I thought it would be really cool to be able to read stories when I could actually picture the place in which they were written. My favorite of the stories was "Why the woodpecker pecks," and so I decided to base my reading notes off of this. I chose to focus on the beauty of how this story was written and pick out some of my favorite sentences from this story.
  • "a Tap! Tap! Tap! sounding in the top of a dead tree..." I love how they used onomatopoeia in the very first sentence so that readers could immediately picture and hear the sound that a woodpecker makes. 
  • "looking just like a little man in a black coat and a red hat." This allows readers to visually picture how the woodpecker looks after hearing its noise in the first sentence. 
    • I love the way the author uses sounds and imagery in order for readers to truly feel what is going on in the story. 
  • "when the wolves were howling far off on the desert," Again, this is another instance in which the author does a great job giving sensory to the readers. 
  • "By the light of the bright stars he could see the buttons growing on the plants" I think this is so beautifully written because I can almost see the stars above an empty desert, and I can picture how they would give just enough light to see the buds on the plants. 
  • "The black robes they were wearing turned into black feathers, and the red feathers they wore in their hair turned into the red head of the woodpeckers." This is a great parallel between one of the first sentences of how the woodpeckers look compared to how they became actual birds.

 How the Indians became Woodpeckers

Bibliograpy: When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends retold by Florence Stratton and illustrated by Berniece Burrough (1936).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking