Skip to main content

Week 11 Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales pt A

For week 11, I am experimenting with a new note-taking strategy. When I first read some of these tales, I really liked how they started and ended. I am going to focus on the first story, Iagoo, the Story Teller, and how this story began and ended. I am planning on just taking notes on the different word choices, sentence structures, and why I liked these stories.

The beginning of the story: 
  • I like how the first word was all capitalized. This made it stand out and gave the first sentence nice emphasis, even though the word itself was not very important. 
  • I also like how in the first sentence the author made sure to introduce some of the characteristics of Iagoo. This helps readers to automatically take the side of the main character because of the positive connotation they now have of him. 
  • I also really liked how much context was provided in the very first paragraph. Not only did we learn about Iagoo himself, but also a little bit about his past, where he lives, and what he does. 
The end of the story: 
  • I had very mixed feelings about the end of the story.
  • Although I liked that it left me on a cliff-hanger, I wish there had been a little bit more closure and more details.
  • It almost seemed like the author became bored of the story and didn't want to make up anymore, and so they decided to end it and would finish telling it in a completely different story. 
  • Again, I was happy that there was a "sequel" of sorts, but I wish that there had been more information at the end in general. 

Iagoo! From the untextbook. 
Overall, I liked this story a lot and enjoyed taking a deeper look at the beginning and the end. I feel like now that I have analyzed this for someone else's writing, I will be much more detailed when I write the beginning and ends of my stories. 

Bibliography: American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking