Skip to main content

Week 7 Reading Notes: Nigerian Folklore pt. B

For these reading notes, I am going to break down important sentences of the story and write my opinions and thoughts about these sentences. I think this will help me to see things from the writer's perspective, as well as potentially start to get some ideas about a story that I can write. I read part B of the Nigerian Folk stories, but I am just going to do these notes over "Of the Fat Woman who Melted Away."
  • "There was once a very fat woman who was made of oil." 
    • this first sentence really caught me off guard! I wasn't expecting to read about a woman who was made of oil, though the title said that she melted away. 
  • "men...offered dowry," "her mother always refused." 
    • This shows that it was arranged marriages during the time of this story, but that because this girl was made of oil she was not able to get married. Her mother said that she would not be able to work on the farm or in the fields because she would melt in the sun. I think this means that women were expected to work for their husbands during this time, so although she was beautiful, in terms of cultural norms, she would not make a good wife because she could not work. 
  • "the fat woman stayed at home and never helped." 
    • the first wife became jealous of the new wife because she never helped with the household chores, in fear that she would melt in the sun. 
  • When the jealous wife saw this she again began abusing her, and asked her why she did not do her share of the work.
    • the jealous wife did not like that the new wife stayed in the shade and did not work. I can imagine being the first wife that I would also be jealous of a new wife that did not even have to work. 
  • "and immediately began to melt away"
    • The fat wife melted as soon as she went into the sun. 
  • "The husband then took the jealous wife back to her parents, who sold her as a slave and paid the dowry back to the husband, so that he could get another wife"
    • this part honestly made me kind of sad. I can imagine that the new wife was mad and jealous, but she still should not have abused the new wife. I wish that the old wife would not have been sold as a slave. 
  • "ever since that time...." 
    • I really did not like this ending. I felt like it should have ended so much differently and not as dark! 
Bibliography: Of the Fat Woman who Melted Away by Elphinstone Dayrell (1910).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking