Skip to main content

Week 14 Lab- Mythology Crash Course

For this week's storylab, I decided to write some notes on the Crash Course videos over mythology. I thought this would be a fun wrap-up after completing the entire class this semester; a crash course would help me to make sure I understand how everything is intertwined, as well as remember some things from early on in the semester. I watch Crash Courses for my science classes and they have always helped me, and so I was very expectant that I would learn a lot (I was not let down)!
  • In the first video, I liked how he considered mythology a "slurrpie of knowledge." I think this is super accurate!
  • They did a great job of explaining a myth as a story instead of as facts. Although some myths may have factual parts, there are so many renditions that it is hard to consider all of one myth a fact. 
  • The second video was very different from the first because it talked much more about the actual theories of mythology. In our class, I didn't feel that we spent much time on theories but more on the readings and working to develop our own take on stories. I liked our class approach much more than I would have liked focusing on theories :) 
    • this video was not as exciting to me, and it went much more into detail on the breakdown of myths. 
    • The graphics of this video were what really kept my attention, which I really appreciated. If it weren't for those, I would not have been able to pay attention well at all. 
  • The last video focuses on heroes, which I really enjoyed! 
  • I loved the Campbell quote that they included, I think that it represented how we think about heroes very well. 
  • I also was interested when they talked about Carl Jung. I have a psychology minor, and so it was cool for me to relate psychology and mythology. 
Overall, I really liked these videos, especially the first and the third. This gave me good insight on the history of mythology, as well as how to relate mythology to other areas of my education. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking