Skip to main content

Week 14 Reading Notes: Italian Popular Tales pt A

This is crazy that it is our last week of reading! I am so excited about reading some of the Italian Popular Tales. I wanted to focus my notes today on the story called "How the Devil Married Three Sisters." I have never heard of this story before and so when I read it I thought it might be fun to focus my notes on it. I loved all of the stories that made up part A of the reading, but for some reason, this one stuck out to me most. I decided to keep it simple with my note-taking style for part A, and then I will do something new for part B.

  • The devil decided he wanted to get married so he left Hell, disguised himself as a handsome young man, and built a grand house
  • he introduced himself to a family with three daughters and won over the oldest, and they got married soon after 
  • the devil asked his new wife to not enter one door of the house, though she could go to every other part of the house
    • this part reminded me of Beauty and the Beast and how Belle was not allowed to enter the certain wing of the house.
  • the wife promised, but then entered the door anyways as soon as the devil left
    • she lied when he asked her. 
  • when he found out, he pushed the wife into the room and she fell into the depths of hell 
  • he won over the second sister, and the exact same story happened to her. 
    • it surprised me that they didn't go into detail with this part of the story, they simply said "the same thing happened"
  • the sister found her sisters through the door and decided to help them escape by hiding them in chests and sending the chests with the devil back to the parent's house. 
  • on the third day, she hid herself in the chest and he took her home, surprised when he got home that he could not find her. 
  • he went to the parent's house and saw all three sisters, which scared him and made him decide that he did not want to marry. 

Devil Sculpture in Italy 

Bibliography: Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane (1885).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking