Skip to main content

Week 14 Reading Notes: Italian Popular Tales pt B

I can't believe this is my last reading of the whole class! This has been so much fun and I have really enjoyed getting to read stories from so many different countries, cultures, and backgrounds. I decided to focus my last set of notes on the story called "The Cat and the Mouse." I enjoyed most of the stories from part B, but I liked this one the best because it seemed familiar to me. For this note-taking post, I decided to do the note style focused on sentences. I love picking out beautiful sentences, and so I thought that would be a good note to end on.
  • A dog passed by and said, "Do you want me?"
    • this made me laugh, trying to imagine a cat standing on the corner advertising how she wanted to get married, but then being asked by a dog if she wanted to marry him. This was a funny sentence! 
  • The cat accepted him and said, "Let us go and be married, for you please me." So they were married.
    • This was just as funny as the first sentence because here the cat is talking to a mouse. She had tested the singing of many different animals, but she liked the mouse singing the best. She based her decision of marriage purely on singing, which is hilarious to me. 
  • "Ah! my little mouse! Ah! my little mouse!" So she went and sat behind the door, lamenting the mouse.
    • The mouse got stuck in the pot, and the cat found him when she was preparing dinner. For some reason, I still found this funny, although it was sad when she called him her little mouse. 
  • The tree replied, "The mouse died, the cat tears her hair, the door slams, the window opens and shuts, and I, as tree, threw myself down."
    • this theme kept going and going for many different objects and animals who were all mourning the loss of the mouse. I thought this was a great consistency throughout the story. 
  • "And I, as king, am going to take my coffee."
    • This was the final sentence of the story, and it honestly really confused me. I didn't understand how this had anything to do with the cat or the mouse. I did not love the ending of this story. 

Bibliography: Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane (1885).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Pip

Hi friends! Welcome to my blog :) My name is Piper, but most of my friends call me a slew of nicknames like Pipe, Pipey, Pipes, Pipeydoodle, Pip (hence Pip Pip Hurray)... you get the point! I am a student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am currently finishing up my last semester before I graduate (don't remind me, I'm getting emotional about it). I am from Tulsa, OK originally, and I would love to go back someday, but my future is pretty up in the air right now so I am not sure when that might be. I am studying Health and Exercise Science with an emphasis on Pre-Occupational Therapy, and the goal would be to start OT school in Summer 2020. I'm super passionate about people and forming relationships, which is what drew me to OT. I love the idea of working in a profession that allows me to make new friends, love others, and solve problems all at the same time. As well as my many nicknames, my friends call me an old lady at heart. I love to read (most recent book- Where

Comment Wall!

A Harvest (this will make more sense as you learn about Ruth and Boaz!) Here is the link to my Storybook about the Love Story of Ruth and Boaz :)

Week 4 Story- The Hungry Urshana

It had been seven days that all of the animals had been stowed away on the ship. They were hungry. They were tired. Their paws, claws, and hooves hurt. It seemed as though every moment another type of animal was complaining about something, and it took all Noah had to be patient and try to tend to their every need. He was exhausted as well; not only did he have to build this giant ark, load all of the living things on the entire earth into the ark, load and take care of this family, but he also had to feed every species on the boat. Imagine herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores all living in one boat. It was all Noah's responsibility to keep them from eating each other and from eating Noah and his family! For such a long time, as well. This was not just a week-long, leisurely vacation with his family. This was the entire responsibility of saving the world that God had put in Noah's hands! So yes, stressed and exhausted is an understatement. On the eighth day, Noah was walking